Wednesday 6 June 2012

Oh, my dreams...

Because I really need to get this up and running, here's a something I wrote off the back of a dream I had last night.

***

GET OUT NOW

That was what the sign said, anyway, in a clear, bold, blood coloured font. It was attached to the one behind it with plastic ties, in such a way that it could be flipped over to read the other notice.

The one behind it read:

WARNING: The old woman has metal legs that will deflect bullets and the cat is unkillable. Self-reloading shotguns are recommended, as is RUNNING AWAY VERY FAST IMMEDIATELY. Talking to the old woman will almost certainly result in a rather sticky end. Please do not try to kill or feed the unkillable cat.

"Thank you, mister sign writer," I muttered. I flipped the sign back to GET OUT NOW and ignored its bright red advice. There was a raised circle about five metres away - rather, I thought there was. The lack of lighting kept visibility low and typical 'oh no, everything's gonna kill me' factor high.

Something made a noise that sounded like a cat being trodden on and a black and white thing landed in the middle of the circle. I automatically aimed the gun I was carrying and shot at it. There was a satisfying wet thud as the bullets hit whatever it was.

The lightweight rifle clicked softly as it reloaded itself.

***

In other news, I have a new story in the works! Fantasy for the first time in a while, with my usual dose of dark and disturbing plot twists. There's only one problem - I've lost the notebook...

No comments:

Post a Comment